The Global War on Terrorism Service Medal (GWOTSM) was established by Executive Order 13289, 12 March 2003. It is authorized for award to members of the Armed Forces of the United States who have participated in the Global War on Terrorism (GWOT) operations outside of the designated areas of eligibility (AOE) for the GWOTEM (see GWOTEM Q&A), on or after 11 September 2001 to a future date to be determined. Battalion commanders and commanders of separate units have the authority to award the GWOTSM for approved operations to units and personnel within his or her command. Service members must be assigned, attached, or mobilized to a unit supporting designated operations for 30 consecutive days or for 60 nonconsecutive days, or meet one of the following criteria:
a. Initial award of the GWOTSM. Limited to airport security operations (from 27 September 2001 through 31 May 2002) and Soldiers who supported Operations NOBLE EAGLE, ENDURING FREEDOM (OEF), IRAQI FREEDOM (OIF), and NEW DAWN (OND).
b. All Soldiers on active duty, including Reserve Component Soldiers mobilized, or National Guard Soldiers activated on or after 11 September 2001 to a date to be determined having served 30 consecutive days or 60 nonconsecutive days (outside of the AOE for the GWOTEM, refer to MILPER Message 09-026) are authorized the GWOTSM.
c. Service members may be awarded both the GWOTEM and the GWOTSM if they meet the criteria for both awards; however, the qualifying period used to establish eligibility for one award cannot be used to justify eligibility for the other award. The GWOTSM will be worn after the GWOTEM and both will directly follow the Kosovo Campaign Medal (KCM) (that is, KCM, GWOTEM, GWOTSM, Korean Defense Service Medal (KDSM), and so forth.)
d. Subsequent awards. Only one award of the GWOTSM may be authorized to any individual; therefore, second and subsequent awards will not be awarded.
A. DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE 1348.33, VOLUME 2, MANUAL OF MILITARY DECORATIONS AND AWARDS, 23 NOVEMBER 2010, AND CHANGE 1, 31 MAY 2013.
Milper Message Number
GLOBAL WAR ON TERRORISM EXPEDITIONARY AND SERVICE MEDALS – OPERATION FREEDOM’S SENTINEL
...Issued: [02 Apr 15]...
B. AR 600-8-22 (MILITARY AWARDS), 11 DECEMBER 2006 (RAR 002, 28 JUNE 2013).
C. UNDER SECRETARY OF DEFENSE MEMORANDUM, 11 MARCH 2015, SUBJECT: GLOBAL WAR ON TERRORISM EXPEDITIONARY AND SERVICE MEDALS – OPERATION FREEDOM’S SENTINEL.
1. THIS MESSAGE WILL EXPIRE ON 31 MARCH 2016.
2. EFFECTIVE 1 JANUARY 2015, OPERATION FREEDOM’S SENTINEL (OFS) IS A QUALIFYING OPERATION FOR AWARD OF THE GLOBAL WAR ON TERRORISM EXPEDITIONARY MEDAL (GWOTEM) AND THE GLOBAL WAR ON TERRORISM SERVICE MEDAL (GWOTSM).
3. THE SIX APPROVED GWOTEM OPERATIONS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
ENDURING FREEDOM (OEF)
11 SEPTEMBER 2001 – TO BE DETERMINED
IRAQI FREEDOM (OIF)
19 MARCH 2003 – 31 AUGUST 2010
NOMAD SHADOW (ONS)
5 NOVEMBER 2007 – TO BE DETERMINED
NEW DAWN (OND)
1 SEPTEMBER 2010 – 31 DECEMBER 2011
INHERENT RESOLVE (OIR)
15 JUNE 2014 – TO BE DETERMINED
OPERATION FREEDOM’S SENTINEL
1 JANUARY 2015 – TO BE DETERMINED
4. THE GWOTEM IS AUTHORIZED TO SOLDIERS WHO ARE DEPLOYED IN SUPPORT OF AN APPROVED OPERATION IN THE DESIGNATED AREAS OF ELIGIBILITY. THERE IS NO ASSOCIATED DEPLOYMENT REQUIREMENT IN ORDER TO QUALIFY FOR AWARD OF THE GWOTSM. A SOLDIER MUST MEET THE CRITERIA FOR THE AWARD OF THE GWOTEM IN REFERENCE B, PARAGRAPH 2-18 AND THE CRITERIA FOR AWARD OF THE GWOTSM IN REFERENCE B, PARAGRAPH 2-19 BEFORE BEING AWARDED EITHER MEDAL. SOLDIERS MAY BE AWARDED BOTH THE GWOTEM AND GWOTSM IF THEY MEET THE CRITERIA FOR BOTH AWARDS; HOWEVER, THE QUALIFYING PERIOD USED TO ESTABLISH ELIGIBILITY FOR ONE AWARD CANNOT BE USED TO JUSTIFY ELIGIBILITY FOR THE OTHER AWARD.
5. CHANGES ARE EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY AND WILL BE INCORPORATED INTO THE NEXT REVISION OF AR 600-8-22.
6. FOR QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS MESSAGE, CONTACT THE AWARDS AND DECORATIONS BRANCH AT USARMY.KNOX.HRC.MBX.TAGD-AWARDS@MAIL.MIL.